If you want to download a bit file (.bit) to your FPGA without using ISE or EDK, you can use iMPACT directly from the command line.
- To start, you should copy your bit file to a known folder (eg. “C:MyFolder”) and rename it to “download.bit” if it isn’t already called that.
- Then you should create an iMPACT script file called “download.cmd”. The script file is just a text file that you can create with Wordpad and it must contain the following text:
setmode -bscan setCable -p auto identify assignfile -p 5 -file download.bit program -p 5 quit
- From Windows, select “Start->Run” and type “cmd”. Press “Enter” and you should have a command prompt.
- Use the “cd” command to reach the folder where you have the bit file and iMPACT script (eg. “cd MyFolder”). In this example, you should now have the prompt: “C:MyFolder>”.
- Turn on your ML505 board and ensure that the JTAG programmer is connected.
- From the command line, type “impact -batch download.cmd”.
iMPACT will then program the FPGA with your bit file.